SWEET RING IMPORTS, bought by Jürgen Fengels, at that stage, a small confectionery Import business servicing the confectionery route trade
INITIAL SUPPLIER BASE
- CEDE CANDY, a Canadian-based dextrose candy supplier (dextrose pops & rockets)
- JACQUOT, a French supplier of chocolates (Bob’s Chocolate Sticks)
- DULCES, Mexican sherbet (sherbet straws)
- SUNMARK, compressed candy from the US (Fun Dip)
- Launched WILLY WONKA Candy into the Australian confectionery route trade (Nerds, Dweebs, Gobstoppers)
- TROLLI German Gummi Candies (Gummi Bears) – first to be introduced into Australia
- First to launch Xmas Advent Calendars into the mass market
- Entry into small supermarkets, first with TROLLI Gummi Bears
- APPO fruit chews developed by Jürgen and Crown Confectionery in Korea which gained national distribution almost overnight
- Developed a successful Christmas gifting chocolate range for department stores and supermarkets
- Launched a comprehensive Easter hollow chocolate range into Woolworths Supermarkets nationally
- Jürgen sold the growing Sweet Ring business to Skansen Gift Ware, however, kept trading in the seasonal arena under the name “SWEET SEASON”
- SWEET SEASON sold over 1 million nets of Chocolate Gold Coins during the Christmas season
- Continued to grow and developed a strong seasonal business with department stores, discount stores and supermarkets
- Jürgen bought the Sweet Ring Business back from Skansen and re-branded the business “UNIVERSAL CANDY”
2001 To 2009
- Launched TROLLI Stockings
- Launched Novelty Santa Stockings
- Introduced 8 different Kids’ confectionery lines into Woolworths making Universal Candy the largest supplier in the kids’ novelty section with 12 lines ranged, and are still today the largest supplier in the kids’ category
- Expanded our product range out of China to include popping candy, toys, lollypops and bubblegum
- Launched TROLLI Gummi tubs into the market which has grown into a 500 tonne plus business annually
2010 To 2017
- Reached 1 million combined unit sales for the TROLLI Christmas Stocking and Christmas Novelty Santa Stocking
- Acquired the Cavendish & Harvey agency for Australia
- Gained national distribution of the TOPPS and PEZ agency lines
- Became the largest supplier in the kids novelty section to Coles (12 lines ranged)
- Became a preferred supplier to McDonalds for confectionery. National Distributor for SRS Australia – Zombie Chews and Wicked Fizz. National Distributor for Key Enterprise – Brain Licker and Lickedy Lips › Formed a partnership with Coles on Private label in both Easter and Christmas
- Appointed exclusive Distributor Australia for Pop Rocks.
- Appointed exclusive Distributors for Australia and New Zealand for Impact Confections (Warheads)
- Appointed exclusive distributor for Yowie for Australia and New Zealand
- Appointed exclusive distributor for Vidal Australia.
From humble beginnings in the early 80’s, the business has grown into the single largest importer of kid’s novelty confectionery, while still maintaining its focus on the seasonal market, to a business with a retail sales value today of well in excess of $80 million.
UNIVERSAL CANDY now offers a comprehensive service to many international confectionery brand owners. Our services include the most cost-effective path to launch and guarantee rapid distribution into the Australian domestic market.
Our Team has a wealth of knowledge, of local and international markets, and is able to draw from the decades of experience, to design a product offer to best suit the retailer, consumer and manufacturer alike.
Our supply chain management is second to none. Our experienced team manage the shipment of merchandise from all corners of the world into our 10,000 square metre warehouse. Regardless of the merchandise, no inventory leaves our warehouse unless it is guaranteed to make its entire journey in a ‘climate controlled’ environment.